About Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek
Kanchenjunga base camp trek is a truly remote trekking in the eastern region of Nepal. Mount Kanchenjunga (8586m) is the third highest mountain in the world.
Kanchenjunga is situated in far Eastern Nepal and lies within the 2,035 square kilometers Kanchenjunga Conservation Area. This part of Nepal has never been densely populated and neither has it ever received many trekking tourists. The area is therefore an absolute haven for many rare Himalayan species, including snow leopards, red pandas, and blue sheep. This trek delivers true pristine landscapes.
Via the 5,160 m Lapsang La pass the 4 week trek will take you through both the northern and southern base camp of Kanchenjunga. On the entire trail there will be stunning and remote mountain terrain because in addition to the Kanchenjunga peak, four subsidiary summits exceed 8000m and more than some twenty peaks exceed 7,000 m.
Kanchenjunga Base Camp – Trek Facts
- Trek Difficulty: Level 4 – Difficult
- Trek Duration: 20 days
- Remoteness: Very Remote
- Max Altitude: 5160 Meters
- Accommodation: Camping
- Best Season: Mar-May, Oct-Nov
- Transport To/From Trek: Flight
Kanchenjunga Base Camp – Safety considerations
Kanchenjunga is adventurous trekking, so safety for successful trek is taken carefuly. They will therefore go through safety procedures with you during your pre-trek meeting about the Kanchenjunga trek:
- This is a high altitude trek and therefore careful acclimatization is needed.
- Most of the Kanchenjunga trekking is done in +4,000 m and without guest houses nearby. Please therefore be sure to bring enough warm clothes, especially during winter season (mid-Nov –mid Feb). Your selected trekking agency will brief you in greater detail about this.